Welcome to Kenilworth: watch this video
In 1894, the Portland Presbytery received an offer of two lots from the owners and developers of the Kenilworth Addition. The property was given on the condition that a building be erected there in the near future for not less than $1100.00. By the time the offer was accepted, the building was already under construction.
Between September 1895 and October, 1908, services were held as a Sunday School Mission.
Kenilworth Presbyterian Church was chartered by the Portland Presbytery on Sunday, October 18, 1908 with twenty-five members. By the end of the year, electric lights were installed in the building permitting evening services to be held.
Changes to the building were minor until 1949. At this time, the new Christian education wing was started. The expansion was required to provide ample space for the growing enrollment of the church school.
As originally built, the entrance to the church was on the west end of the building on SE 34th Ave. The new construction placed the entrance on SE Gladstone rather than 34th Avenue.
The next major construction under the leadership of Pastor Emeritus Rev. Elmer R. Frimoth, Jr. consisted of a total renovation of the building with the sanctuary turned with the pews now facing north. The work was completed in 1968.
In recent years, the building has been lovingly renovated and refurbished with paint, carpet, lighting, electrical and flooring upgrades. A labyrinth was added near the front entrance. There is a fenced play yard behind the church for our preschool and a community garden for members and neighbors.
Kenilworth is a warm and welcoming place.
What We Believe
We believe that in life and death we belong to God. Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in the One Triune God, who redeems us together to serve God, to love neighbor, and to accept ourselves. So we, the members of Kenilworth Presbyterian Church, are an accepting and nurturing family of committed Christians, made up of diverse persons, yoked with Christ in servanthood.
God has called us to be a redeemed people, with whom all can heal and grow. In light of this call, our mission is to proclaim God’s story of redemption by faithfully providing a relevant program of worship, education, fellowship, evangelism, and stewardship, which nurtures the congregation and reaches out to the community.
Rev. David B. Jewel, MDiv
David began his ministry at Kenilworth on March 7, 2011.
A 2009 graduate of Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary, David entered the ministry following a career in hospital administration with the Department of Veterans Affairs. He also hold a BS in business from Indiana University and an MHA from Xavier University.
Prior to serving at Kenilworth, David was pastor at the Mt. Lebanon Presbyterian Church near Henryville, Indiana and more recently a Resident Chaplain at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland, Oregon.
David and his wife Rebecca live in the Woodstock neighborhood.
Rev. James Freda
Rev. Hubert Newton
Rev. Elmer “Bud” Frimoth, Jr.
Director of Music
Judy Hubbard, RN
- Rick Votrobeck, Clerk of Session
- Carol Garner
- Peggy Morgan
- Dave Ramsey
- Laura Schaefer
- Sharese Williams
Communications: Website, Newsletter and Facebook
- Rebecca Jewel
Links to Resources